Friday, April 16, 2010

Obsession

I've been called many things: nuts, crazy, weird, strange, etc. I wear each of these labels with pride, but I can say that there is one adjective that is my favorite to hear:

OBSESSED.
I'm sure you had recently read about my Eeyore "problem" and had that image at the forefront of your mind when you read that particular word. Here, let's have some fun and do it again:

OBSESSED.

See Eeyore again? Good, but you get extra points if you had another one of my obsessions in mind. If you know me, I'm sure there's the start of a small list in your head - if you don't, well, let me enlighten you.

The definition of the word obsessed is this: the domination of one's thoughts or feelings by a persistent idea, image, desire, etc. I have an issue with keeping things on a small scale. If I'm interested in something, then I like it. If I like it, then I love it. If I love it, then I obsess about it and think about it all the time and have forty-seven thousand of them.

I'm sure you can understand that, right? Right? C'mon - I can't be the only one!

I obsess over many things. Some silly, like Eeyore and my cats and Joe Flanigan from Stargate Atlantis. Some are practical (somewhat), like chapstick and pens and Ted Dekker books. And yet some are real, special things that touch me in ways material items never can.

Quotes from famous (and not-so-famous) people,
Learning how to love my husband in new ways everyday,
Music from a budding pianist,
The way something I've made can change someone's day,
Working my camera to capture that one special moment . . .

All these things are constant obsessions of mine. Some come and go in spurts, some have stuck solid to show up in my mind everyday. But contrary to popular belief, my obessing is not such a terrible thing.

My favorite author, wrote this in his novel titled Obsessed:

"I'm not sure some wouldn't risk their lives for a particular obsession. Which isn't all that crazy. Some ideas are actually worth dying for . . . life is hardly worth living without an obsession. God Himself is obsessed . . . with his creation, with humans, with the love of humans. You think He created with such nonchalance? 'Let's throw some mud against the sky and see if any of it sticks?' Not a chance . . . we are created for love, for obsession." - Ted Dekker

Some folks out there think my obsessions are odd and unhealthy, but I've decided that they're only practice for the one obsession that truly matters - the love God has for us and the love that we should show for Him.

Think about that for a moment, and then ask yourself:

Are you obsessed?

(If you're not - you should be!)

No comments:

Post a Comment