Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Talking with Talent

Have you ever felt touched by something so deeply that you can feel it's effects reverberate through every facet of your personal existence?

I most surely have.

What I'd like to talk about today is my personal brush with incredible talent. Yes, talented people surround me; at work, at home, in my family - you can locate talent just about anywhere if you're looking hard enough for it. But one encounter has been standing out rather prominently in my heart as of late.

His talent is the piano - his name is Quentin Fielding.

I was going through my daily routine of checking my email and Facebook account, when I noticed a friend request from an unknown person. In most cases, I will ignore such requests if the name or face is an unfamiliar one. But, for some reason, I chose to open the message that was jotted there - and was intrigued by what I read.

A simple memo, it only stated that he had noticed my interest in Jim Brickman (a famous concert pianist I thoroughly enjoy) and thought I might like his style of piano as well.

I'm not going to draw this story out any more than that - let it suffice to say that I fell in love with Quentin's piano solos immediately and bought his album that night. I have been listening to it over and over and over and . . . well, you get the idea.

Not being a musician myself, I had never really imagined that one could compose notes on a page in such a way that it cuts through the walls that you had built around your heart to stir emotions you'd forgotten you had. I do believe his music affected emotions there that don't even have names yet because of their rarity.

I suppose it isn't only the notes in Quentin Fielding's compositions, but his heart in conversation that inspires me as well. He has sent me messages on Facebook - not the typical form-letter "thanks for the support" type responses that you get from those talented people that have let their fame get the best of them - but real, honest thank-yous and grateful comments. I truly believe that he wasn't just trying to promote his debut album to the world - I can tell that he really wants to touch people in ways that I can't quite comprehend. This talented musician took time out of his crazy busy life to talk to someone like me.

This is amazing to me. To find such talent that is willing to make his fans feel like they have a reason to be his fans is rare indeed. I could only hope to do a fraction of what he's done for me - to inspire as he's inspired would be truly wonderful.

So, in the midst of all my rambling ponderings, my soul sings as I consider this wonderful gift the good Lord has given this pianist - and also to me.

Now, in closing I would like to pose this thought:

If you have such a priviledge to come face to face (or Facebook to Facebook) with a talented person such as Quentin - don't hesitate to tell them how you feel about that talent. Tell them that they've touched you, and be specific! I believe someone who touches lives like that deserves to know.

And if you are that talented person, remember this one thing: Don't leave that which you've inspired to wither away. Follow Quentin Fielding's example and let the world know that you appreciate them just as they appreciate you.

This world could use a little more of that, don't you think?

www.quentinfielding.com

If you'd like to know a taste of this talent, visit Quentin Fielding's website and just pause for a moment and let the notes take you away.

1 comment:

  1. Another wonderful blog. I will check him out for sure. Maybe good painting music!

    ReplyDelete