Monday, March 29, 2010

Joanie

Every morning when I am brushing my teeth before heading to work, I peruse the numerous choices of necklaces for the day's best option.

Today, like some days, I decided on this lovely little silver key.

I have always chosen jewelry with a particular meaning or appeal, This key in particular is one of my simplest and most beloved pieces.

It belonged to my Grandma - one of the most amazing women I think I've ever had the priveledge of knowing.

She, like my Mom and me, was a bit quirky ... one her most endearing qualities.

She collected keys - big keys, tiny keys; keys in frames and keys on chains.

This particualar key was given the special honor of hanging in my bouquet at my wedding.



And though Grandma wasn't there to smile and cry and hug me and laugh, she was holding my hands as my Dad and Grandpa gave me away.

I cherish those little moments of recollection and reminisce.

I remember sitting on their porch helping her string tiny beads onto wires to make a miniature Christmas tree to cover in teeny ornaments. I remember going into town every so often to make "happy little trees" at Bob Ross painting classes with her. I remember going to walk on "The Path" and feeding the ducks out of that brown and yellow label bag of bread. And can't forget to drink "bat's blood" with breakfast while talking like Dracula.

I allow myself a moment to dream about what she'd say to me today, so many years later.

I like to think of her giggling when Kyle bursts out in his goofy Irish accent. I like to think of her cheering me on when I got my first tattoo and encouraging me to keep being myself and nothing less. I like to make up little adventures that we'd have together - like maybe going to the mall and scaring people by making her false teeth pop out.

Never underestimate the power of a memory - no matter how vague, no matter how simple, no matter how ridiculous. Your memories are what keep amazing people alive.

And if those memories can be provoked by a simple piece of jewelry -
I say wear it with pride!

No comments:

Post a Comment